This is your chance to be involved in the direction of The Self-Taught Tech Network.
What is a Mock-a-thon? 🎨
You've heard of a hackathon right?
Developers get together and build a project based on set criteria for the chance of glory.
Well, this is exactly the same, but instead of building a project, you will be designing a mock-up using your design tool of choice.
About STTN 🚀
The Self-Taught Tech Network is a recently launched community focused on Self-Taught/Bootcamp designers and developers.
There is a shift happening in the tech industry.
There are more jobs available than degree-level individuals to fill them. The self-taught community are the ones that will fill this skill gap. Going the self-taught route isn't easy and it can be incredibly lonely, but it is very rewarding.
STTN was created by self-taught developers for self-taught developers. We understand the struggles you must overcome by choosing to take this route into tech, and we want to be there to support you every step of the way.
From your first line of code, right through to your first day on the job.
Want to get involved? Join the Discord .
How to participate 💪
There aren't any fancy rules... just be a member of the community.
Why you should participate 🥳
The Self-Taught Tech Network is a young community, it's still fresh so there aren't any fancy swag or cash prizes on offer.
So why should you participate?
Well, a few reasons really...
- You get to have a chance at leaving your mark on the community.
- It's a fun little competition to show off your skills.
- It's a learning experience. Treat this like a client has come to you requesting this website. Use your initiative and think about how you might approach their request.
Need more reasons?
- Any of the ideas you contribute to the final version will be attributed to you in the footer, including a link to your chosen social media account.
- The entries and winners will be announced on Twitter. This is a great opportunity for exposure to grow your following or find potential opportunities.
- You can use this as a portfolio piece.
Client brief 📝
You have full creative freedom.
Single page or multi-page, it's your choice.
- Homepage with a CTA to join the discord, follow on Twitter and receive community updates from our newsletter.
- About page with an explanation of our mission and the benefits of joining the community.
- Blog page. This is where we will feature posts submitted by the community. It will have a list of posts with the ability to load more. Feel free to have creative freedom in adding filters/categories etc.
Below are the logo colors. You have creative freedom to use them any way you like.
Font used on the logo for reference:
Feel free to use the closest possible match to this, but it's up to you. It's your design.
This isn't a requirement. If you have a knack for writing copy, this can be a nice little added extra.
Otherwise, I'm happy for you to use Lorum Ipsum... or my personal favourite - Bacon Ipsum.
Web or mobile?
Both are prefered but you have the creative freedom to express your work in any way you like.
I don't have any design skills?
That's okay. This is just for fun. We will be sharing some of our favourite design resources in Discord and on Twitter to help.
But, I'm a backend developer...
This is only focused on the front-end, but don't worry, we will have challenges suited to you in the future. You could give it a try if you have wanted to improve your design skills.
I don't want to design, I want to build!
That's fine by me. Flex those building skills and share the hosted site/Github code instead!
Important dates and rules 📅
- June 6th, 2022 (21:00 BST): Hackathon begins.
- June 27th, 2022 (23:59 BST): Deadline for submissions.
- 30th June: Winners will be announced.
Send your submission to email@example.com before the end date above.
Your submission can be in any form you choose. Live design from your chosen tool, hosted site, or screenshots in a word document.
The choice is yours.
Thanks for taking part. Looking forward to seeing what you create 🔥